Friday, July 6, 2012

reflections from a long break

It has been two months since I wrote anything in this blog.  Apologies.  Life has been hectic and confusing and out-of-round.  But people with lives much more hectic find the mindspace to contribute to the conversation in their "spare time", so I thought I should probably try my hand at it again.

I think one of my primary problems with faithful blogging is that I feel like I have to have something profound and verbose to say.  The reality is that a lot of the people that I follow on blogs and twitter and the like just post some thoughts or even just link to others' thoughts.

I have had a couple of days to reflect on life and church and family and employment and kingdom and I think I'm even more confused than when I started.  Those reflections are probably better left for another time and another place (3 pm in a Market Street coffeeshop seems a little too impersonal for some old-fashioned soul baring).

But as I look at the little community that God has entrusted to me and I balance that with the person that God has created me to be, I feel like I have abdicated some of my responsibilities to them.  I'm not sure exactly what I mean by that, but I can't help feeling that I need some more intentionality and discipline in order to lead in the way I have been gifted.  So, while blogging is a small thing, maybe it's the gateway drug to deeper discipline.

Since there's very little profound or verbose in my blogging today, I thought I could introduce some of you to one of my mentors, a theologian named Alan Hirsch, author of several books on missional church and one of the foremost thinkers in this missional conversation.  Here is one of his recent blog posts.  Enjoy!

http://www.thehousestudio.com/2012/christ-must-be-everything/

No comments:

Post a Comment