Friday, January 31, 2014

Goals


“Time sure flies when you don’t know where you are on the map.”
Derek Webb, “Eye of the Hurricane”

As 2013 flipped to 2014, I had many conversations with friends about resolutions and goals.  I shared some devotional thoughts at our company staff meeting about the horrible follow-through percentages when it comes to resolutions.  And I challenged our employees to set goals instead of making resolutions.  Resolutions make for good January conversation fodder; goals are more concrete and come with a plan, ideally.

I take our 1-1/2 year old son to school most every morning.  Our ritual includes listening to Derek Webb’s CD “I Was Wrong, I’m Sorry, and I Love You.”  (Please withhold your judgment regarding what I am doing theologically to my son.  I’m hoping to nurture a thinking child.)  We do tracks 5 & 6, then go back to track 2.  Webb is a master of the thought-provoking line (“If you’re the only one who runs a race, it might be to get away” and “On that day, we’ll run out of time for death and tears” come immediately to mind.) and one that hits me every time I hear it is the quote above – “Time sure flies when you don’t know where you are on the map.”

I am NOT a planner.  I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-and-hope-it-works kind of guy.  Usually that leads to a lot of activity and very little productivity.  So I am trying to change – at least a little bit.  My wife (who IS a planner/preparer) and I are trying some new things to get things done – a weekly staff meeting, an allocated spending plan, a monthly menu, etc.  So far, it’s proving helpful.  But it’s still January.

I have broken our 2014 goals down into six categories: personal, financial, family, 8th Day Collective (our church), reading, and work (Accolade & Yahwear).  Each month I am writing out specific things that I hope to accomplish in that month, as well as stretch goals and “on the horizon” goals.  In January, I accomplished about 50% of my goals, and 11% of my stretch goals.  While that’s not anything earth-shattering, it sure is better than having no idea where I am on the map.

One of the goals that I didn’t accomplish in January was to blog weekly.  (I DID, however, blog weakly.)  So this is the first attempt to make that goal happen in February.  I have a plan for blogging as well, so look for thoughts on hospice and friends, train rides and books. 

Two questions as I wrap this up: 
1) What are YOUR goals for 2014 and what kind of plan to you have to make that happen?
2) What topics would you love to have me start a discussion about here on the blog?

1 comment:

  1. G Club 69 Classic Blackjack Gold Series and other gambling games.

    บาคาร่า One of the ways you can join the classic Blackjack Gold Series and other lucky draws is over 500 registrations through popular computer networks. In this time of the great new money. The different types of investment turned to gaming, gambling network. Because it is enjoyable. It also creates another way.
    About Classic Blackjack Gold Series is a great blackjack game that we have created for the gamers to gamble. In Blackjack Both of these cards are worth the face value. The figure is 10 points. Aces can be either 1 or 11, with a total of 21 as close as possible. The point is not over. If you have more points. Beautiful girl You will be the winner now.
    Do not wait any longer, you will be amazed at how easy it is to play the classic Blackjack Gold Series free of charge. We have a team of highly trained professionals. Please consult with us 24 hours not to click on us at the website. Gclub มือถือ

    ReplyDelete