Friday, February 3, 2012

Give Us Rest

I've spent the better part of this year listening to the final David Crowder* Band album, Give Us Rest (a requiem mass in the key of C [the happiest of all keys]).  I'm a firm believer that seasons of our lives often have soundtracks, usually not ones that we would choose.  When I went through my divorce 7 years ago (goodness! 7 years?!), the soundtrack was Third Day's Wire.  I have always thought that this was an odd soundtrack.  Nevertheless, whenever a song from that CD plays, I am taken back to an eggplant minivan, a rent house on Lasalle, and a three- and one-year old daughter.

Even though I'm not sure what is just around the corner for me, I have this feeling that there is some change on the horizon.  And I think that Give Us Rest is turning into the soundtrack for this season.  The feelings of despair and hope, of death and resurrection, of darkness and light that permeate the album have struck a chord deep in my heart.  "O Great God, Give Us Rest," "Fall On Your Knees," "Oh My God" & "Oh, Great Love of God" have especially resonated.  But, like most of Crowder's art, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I look forward to continuing to see how Crowder's requiem speaks to this season.  This probably won't be the last blog about this masterpiece.

How about you?  Which songs are resonating with you?  What is the whole album saying to you?

1 comment:

  1. Soundtrack of my life would be a mixtape which includes AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and the Beastie Boys.

    ReplyDelete