Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Place at the Table, Day 3

Usually, about day 3 or 4 of a fast, your body acclimates itself to what's going on and the hunger pangs lessen throughout the day.  Sure, when meal times approach, your body lets you know that it's hungry, but the "chronic" ongoing hunger goes away.  That was yesterday for me.  I was hungry at noon and 6:00, but was good the rest of the day, for the most part.

The last Friday of the month is usually a night that Wendy & I spend hanging out with special needs children through a program called Night O.W.L.S.  But, since several of the families that we watch had sick kids, we weren't needed last night.  So Wendy & I went out on a date.  Which is not as exciting as it sounds when you're on a beans/rice/potato/corn/bread diet.  So after a couple of places had wait times that were too long, we settled into Chipotle.  And since it was a date, I decided to splurge/cheat and have their cilantro-lime rice.  Oh, my!  What a treat!  I devoured it with joy and, as I was picking the cilantro out of my teeth, I smiled at how "simple" this pleasure was.  I later got a text from a fellow journeyer whose day was made when he realized he had some left over Jimmy John's bread to enjoy at dinner.  The simple things.

So, maybe the lesson from yesterday is to appreciate the simple things in life.  A child's laughter.  A beautiful sunset.  A home with a roof and heat.  The company of friends.  An independent child who wants to snuggle because she doesn't feel good.  Good music.  An engaging read.  Comfortable shoes.  Fancy dresses.  Hot coffee.  And even cilantro-lime rice and Jimmy John's bread.

So take a moment today to notice the simple things.  Hold that hug for a second longer.  Smell the coffee before you drink it.  Smile more.  Look at your watch less.  Enjoy the life you've been given, and in so doing, in a mysterious sort of way, you will be embracing the life that is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment